Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hello Welcome

 
Hello Everyone,
  My name is Joe Lyons I'm a police officer working towards finishing my degree in CJ. I was enrolled in Northeastern University's CJ program straight out of HS and decided to withdraw to take a full time police position with the Arlington County Police Dept. in VA. Working in a major metropolitan city provided me with a totally different outlook on the world. I have since moved back to my home state of MA and continue to serve as a police officer in a much smaller town. I look forward to reading everyone's post and see what other occupations are taking this course.
 As far as my blog goes, I am going to be working on examining the technological advancements in the criminal justice system, specifically those tools available to police officers who must answer multiple calls for service on a daily basis, the "street cops" if you will. While there is no question that these advancements have made the job easier for officers to conduct their day to day activities, with technological advancement comes criticism.
 The blog will take a look at technological advancements in simple items like the on-board mobile data terminal (MDT) computers, to advancement in weaponry to include the controversial topic of tasers, a form of an electronic "stun gun"to put it in layman's terms.
 In reading my blog I hope that you will respond to the topic and give me your thoughts as I can be biased, having seen first hand how these advancements make the job easier. I am always curious to see the opinions of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment